24.8.14

eep!

It's my first day of school tomorrow, you guys! And, I'm just a teensie bit nervie! It's been six years since I finished undergrad and, having skipped out on every single orientation event, due to a combined lack of childcare and motivation, I'm feeling a little unprepared! In the absence of any real tools with which to prepare myself, I've been obsessing over my bus-route (my student ID doubles as a bus pass, how cool!) trying to get ahead in "A Short Course in Grammar" (my one and only text book this semester) and, of course, planning my outfit! Come on, you guys! Keeping in mind that no one's watching--or would care, if they were--what does one wear for their first day of graduate school? Something flattering, but not overly feminine; sharp, but casual; cool, yet effortless. You know, something like this probably-spanish* girl's got going on:



Adapted, of course, to accommodate this damned weather, which feels especially designed to prevent one from making a flawless first impression. I'd wear cut-offs, but is that appropriate?! I wouldn't want to be mistaken for a frosh, amirite?! lol. Ultimately, I'd like to appear "with it" but not overly so. In the game but not of the game. You know what I mean. And, you could say it doesn't matter, because what does, in the end? But in this hopefully-if-all-goes-well-soon-to-be-professional author's opinion, you can't really underestimate the power of an outfit when the task is getting one's head in the right place. For, according to Virginia Wolfe, "vain trifles though they seem, clothes have, they say, more important offices than to merely keep us warm. They change our view of the world, and the world's view of us."

And that lady knew what she was talking about...right? So obviously, I've got a lot to think about… Plus, let's not forget, several classes to attend! omg!

Wish me luck!


*update: um, yeah, totally spanish (image via here)

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine, just remember to breath!

    ReplyDelete